The Regional Research and Innovation in Simulation Education (RISE) Center at Robert Morris University, developed in 2009, is a major regional educational resource and a center of excellence for simulation training and research. The center’s internationally recognized faculty and specially trained simulation specialists and technicians work side by side with health care organizations around the region, creatively broadening the educational experience of health sciences students by maximizing their learning opportunities. The RISE Center located in the School of Nursing and Health Science building offers:
- A Leadership in Simulation Instruction and Management Certificate Program, taught by world-class simulation faculty to help train the next generation of simulation educators in the academic and healthcare setting
- Courses in TeamSTEPPS Teamwork training principles
- Interprofessional experiences aligned with the IPEC Core Competencies
- Learning experiences using the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL) Standards of Best Practice-Simulation
- Accreditation by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- RISE on the Road Activities providing in-situ training within healthcare organizations
About the Simulation Certificate Program
This graduate-level certificate offers health sciences educators the opportunity to gain current knowledge and experience in techniques related to simulation facilitation, instruction, and leadership. This certificate program prepares graduates for the CHSE examination. Participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate effective simulation facilitation/instructional strategies
- Integrate standards for best practice within your simulation program
- Incorporate simulation measurement and evaluation strategies to enhance program outcomes
- Determine priorities for funding of simulation research projects
- Identify leadership strategies to enhance success of a simulation program
- Utilize innovative trends such as TeamSTEPPS ® teamwork training in designing experiences
- Explore technologies appropriate for use in a simulation laboratory
Class 1- Leadership in Simulation Facilitation and Instruction
This course explores current research in high fidelity simulation and education, through the use of both manikins and standardized patients. Special focus is given to:
- Scenario facilitation and design
- INACSL standards for best practices
- Prebriefing and facilitation
- Debriefing and evaluation
Donna McDermott, MSN, CHSE , is an assistant professor of nursing at Robert Morris University. A Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE), Donna has a wealth of experience with simulation center accreditation and incorporating simulation throughout undergraduate and graduate curriculum.
Class 2 – Organizational Leadership and Management Concepts in Simulation
This course investigates effective management techniques and leadership strategies that generate buy-in from colleagues and administrators and enhance the success of a simulation laboratory. Subjects include:
- Strategic planning
- Creating a mission and vision
- Budgeting and research funding priorities
- Organizational change theory
- Emotional intelligence
Suzan Kardong-Edgren, PhD, RN, ANEF, CHSE , is director of the RMU’s Regional Research and Innovation in Simulation Education (RISE) Center. Suzie is editor-in-chief of Clinical Simulation in Nursing and the VP of research for the International Nursing Association of Clinical Simulation and Learning (INACSL).
Class 3 – Innovative Trends in Health Care for Simulation
The final eight-week course explores the current landscape of health care and simulation, and culminates in a final project, or e-portfolio, incorporating all three classes. Concepts include:
- IOM report
- QSEN competencies
- TeamSTEPPS training concepts
- Licensure regulations.
- Interprofessional Education Collaboration (IPEC)
Janice Sarasnick, MSN, CHSE , is an assistant professor of nursing at Robert Morris University. As a master trainer for TeamSTEPPS, Janice has conducted interprofessional simulation for all health care learners and incorporated simulation throughout the undergraduate and graduate curriculum.
Learn more by visiting the Rise Center Website and clicking on the Sim Certificate Course!